Hydration Is Crucial For Artists
When you are a professional artist (actors, dancers, models, singers, etc.), it’s important to do everything you can to help you perform well. Hydration is an important factor in your mental and physical health, what you put in your body is extremely crucial. In this blog we are referring to “H20” aka plain and simple “Water”. Make sure you get your daily dose of H2O to prevent dehydration, especially when you are on set filming outside for long hours under the scorching summer sun or performing under hot stage lights. Staying hydrated is one of those simple things many artists fail to take into consideration and carry on their day not feeling their best due to dehydration which could very well have an adverse effect during an audition or performance.
Why is water so crucial to the working artist? Even mild dehydration can affect your performance; the first signs of dehydration are fatigue and poor balance. After the body has lost 1-2 liters of water, thirst begins to kick in. If you are thirsty, then you are already dehydrated! So always remember that it’s very important to listen to your body.
In addition to preventing dehydration, a condition that can cause unclear thinking, result in mood change, cause your body to overheat, and lead to constipation and kidney stones. Water also has no calories, so it can also help with managing body weight and reducing calorie intake when substituted for drinks with calories, such as sweet tea or regular soda.
Another interesting fact is that we can also prevent dehydration by eating lots of fruits and vegetables on top of drinking water. Consider adding melon, squash, oranges, apples, pears, grapes, leafy greens and salads to your daily diet to bolster hydration, in addition to consuming beverages like herbal tea, sports beverages, smoothies, soy milk, almond milk, and yogurts or whole fruit popsicles! While these additions should not replace your daily intake of water, they are great ways to both achieving a healthy, hydrated you and a stellar performance!
Some important things to remember:
- How great you look as an artist is important and what you put in your body is also extremely crucial. So drink water and stay hydrated.
- Staying hydrated is especially important when filming outside for long hours under the scorching summer sun or performing under hot stage lights.
- If you are thirsty, then you are already dehydrated.
- The first signs of dehydration are fatigue and poor balance. Listen to your body.
- Eating lots of fruits and veggies on top of drinking water are great ways to both achieving a healthy, hydrated you and a stellar performance!
- Visit the CDC for Benefits of drinking water!
- Check out our other health tips!
Thank you to Discovery Spotlight (@discoveryspotlight ) on Instagram for contributing to this blog. Also check out Dr Oz’s video featuring Jennifer Lopez on the importance of staying hydrated! Blog post photo credit goes to model Tammy Wilson, Carolyn’s Model & Talent Agency.