A Path To Better Mental Health
We can all agree that accomplishing our goals is a big challenge for most people. Now imagine going through your journey while struggling with mental health issues. Just waking up in the morning with the thought of facing the world is enough to make millions of people suffering with mental health problems want to lock themselves up at home, never to be seen. The mental health crisis effects the entertainment industry like any other industry and we hope this post will help anyone who is struggling. Always remember that no matter how many people love you, your happiness is your responsibility. So, take time for yourself and do things that bring you joy. If it helps motivate you and you enjoy, then do it. If you feel tense or have a dark cloud in your head, then don’t do it. Even doing things you love can sometimes feel a bit stressful but knowing you will feel much better in the end makes it worth the effort.
There is no linear path to overcoming depression and anxiety. It is a constant twisting and changing road to better mental health. Focus on the paths that provide you with happiness and self-validation. For most actors, keeping busy and honing their craft helps alleviate depression and anxiety. We cannot change a toxic environment, but we can leave unsafe environments and place ourselves in an environment where we can remain focused on our passion. Our thoughts can also help control our state of well being. When you begin to reflect on negative thoughts, try to gravitate towards activities that help realign your focus by doing something you enjoy. It will bring you back to a positive mindset. It could be exercise or simply just watching your favourite comedy and you will find your thoughts becoming more positive. I good laugh may not be considered an activity but the energy your body uses to laugh creates an amazing, internal feeling. You know what the say the best medicine is…laughter, “laughter is the best medicine” so load up on comedy when you just don’t feel like exercising but need a positive outlet.
In almost any profession, helping others around you will not only provide support for someone besides yourself. But having the willingness to help others without expecting anything in return creates a “humanitarian” feeling that will make you feel good about life. It provides a feeling of hopefulness when you recognize the goodness in yourself and those around you. So, make sure to help your fellow actors learn their craft and how to succeed in the business. Whether it is an actor, agent, or someone behind the scenes, it is important to provide guidance when someone is looking for help.
Some important things to remember:
- Surround yourself with positive, supportive people and try to see the goodness in people you work with, especially in the worst times.
- Your happiness is your responsibility. So, take time for yourself and do things that bring you joy.
- We cannot change a toxic environment, but we can leave unsafe environments and place ourselves in an environment where we can remain focused on our passion.
- Stay away from things that trigger your depression and anxiety. Gravitate towards activities that help realign your focus by doing something you enjoy (i.e., comedy, laugh, laugh a lot).
- Helping others around you will provide support for someone besides yourself and create a “humanitarian” feeling that will help you feel good about life.
- Also check out our “Positive Thinking” post!
Thank you to Mental Health Advocate and actor Henry Tran for contributing to this blog. To see his video, “Gambler” click here